I am an experienced piano and music instructor based in Mountain View offering in-home, private lessons to the Bay Area. My focus is on motivating students to develop an appreciation for all styles of music through structured playing and listening. My teaching style is a process of guided discovery. I encourage students to pick music they will enjoy learning. We will be developing an attention to detail, critical thinking skills and time management habits that can be applied to other areas of study as well. I teach up to an intermediate level and specialize in teaching children. Students can learn to play any style of music they want, including jazz, classical or popular music. I look forward to discussing your musical goals and sharing my 23 years of musical experience. Email me, call me or connect with me on LinkedIn today!
My musical career started with my first piano lesson when I was 6 years old. I was first trained in playing classical music but later developed an interest in jazz improvisation and playing by ear. I began teaching piano lessons and performing live when I was 16. I studied music and continued performing at California State University, Fullerton. After I graduated, I gained additional teaching experience as a Kids Sailing Instructor at the Santa Barbara Sailing Center, as a certified ski and snowboard at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area and as a surf instructor at Black Star Surf Shop in Ghana, West Africa. My teaching abilities have been broadened by each of these experiences. I took a short professional detour to work as a web developer at the NASA Ames Research Center but have since returned to two of my oldest passions: music and teaching.
My Teaching Style
- My focus is on helping students develop an appreciation for all styles of music through listening, practice and enjoyment.
- My teaching style is a process of guided discovery, which encourages students to pick their own music pieces and think for themselves.
- All ages welcome. I teach up to an intermediate level and specialize in teaching children.
- Learn to play any style of music you want. I specialize in jazz, classical or popular music.
- Learn to read sheet music, read jazz-style 'lead sheets' or play by ear.
- FREE Web Recitals included in lesson prices! Students will have the chance to record their best performances periodically. Recordings will published to the Web so you can brag to your friends. Web Recitals are recorded at my home studio and are optional.
- Live recitals optional.
- I suggest practicing at least 2 times as long as the duration of your lesson. So if you take a 60-minute lesson, set aside 2 hours each week to practice.
- Some of my favorite musicians and bands are Beethoven, Debussy, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Linkin Park, Radiohead, Coldplay, Ne-Yo and Pharrell Williams.
My Pricing and Terms
- FREE first lesson where we will spend 30 minutes assessing whether it’s going to be a good fit. There’s no obligation to continue.
- Lessons at your home. Save the hassle of driving! I will travel to most places on the peninsula and within the greater San Jose area. I also do lessons at my studio for a discount.
- Web Recitals are included in lesson prices. Students will have many to record their best performances, create their own MP3s, and share them on the Web. This gives students performance incentive and experience with the audio recording process. Web Recitals are done at my studio and are optional.
- Flexible scheduling of lessons. I usually have slots available evenings and weekends.
- Pricing is $70 for one hour or $40 for 30 minutes.
- Payment is due at the first lesson of the month. Cash, check and credit cards are accepted.
- Need to reschedule? No problem, just give me 48-hours notice. I do not offer refunds.
Areas I Serve
^ To top of the page ^
- Mountain View
- Palo Alto
- Los Altos
- Los Gatos
- Portola Valley
- La Honda
- Menlo Park
- Redwood City
- Foster City
- San Mateo
- San Carlos
- San Bruno
- San Francisco
- South San Francisco
- Santa Clara
- San Jose
- Morgan Hill
- Santa Cruz
- Scotts Valley
- Half Moon Bay
- Moss Beach
- Boulder Creek
- Ben Lomond
- Union City
- Castro Valley
- Treasure Island